In addition to photographing the brides and grooms of San Antonio, I am honored to also serve my clients as a lifestyle newborn photographer. I wanted to put together a little “how to” educational blog for you to learn my top tips, and you can even save it on Pinterest! The first question most people […]
Here is some valuable information to help you get ready for your lifestyle newborn session:
1) Feed your baby before your photographer arrives. I love to document your baby just how they are – awake, asleep, or anything in between; however, a fussy baby is always the hardest to capture. A full tummy can help make the session go smoothly and of course, we can always take breaks to feed again as many times as needed. The session will go according to the needs of the baby.
2) Dress your baby in something comfortable and timeless. Babies are beautiful in their natural state. I believe in letting the focus fall on your baby and the connection that you have with each other instead of using props.
Stick to a classic color palette and simple patterns. My favorite colors for babies are neutrals (white, gray, cream), brown, mustard, navy, olive green, burgundy, and of course a soft rose pink or baby blue.
I suggest that parents also plan to have a coordinating swaddle blanket on hand if possible.
3) Dress yourself in something comfortable too! You want to feel your best, and usually feeling your best after baby means dressing comfortably. These sessions are at home, so dress for cuddling your baby. Again, stick to a color palette that is simple and timeless.
Not sure what to wear? Check out my lifestyle newborn portraits inspiration board on Pinterest!
4) Open your blinds and curtains. Light is every photographer’s friend. I have gear that works well in low light, however, more light is always better for newborn photos and helps to give your photos a nice clean look. I can help with finding the best place in your home for photos based on available light once I arrive. My favorite places are often the nursery, master bedroom, and living room.
5) You Home. You’ve just had a baby, so I don’t expect a deep cleaning, but clearing excess clutter in the spaces where we will take your photos (see #4) will give me more options. And, please don’t be offended if I move some of your things around when it comes time to take photos.
THAT’S IT! Lifestyle photography is all about capturing you and your family just the way you are. I come to your home to keep the pressure low and allow you to be comfortable in this sacred time of your lives.I My goal is to tell a story of this special time for your family, while keeping you safe. I’ll be wearing a mask the whole time, sanitize and keep my distance from Amelia as much as possible.
Are you ready to book your lifestyle newborn session? Reach out to me today!
Esther Makau is a San Antonio lifestyle newborn photographer. She loves capturing elegant and candid moments for new parents in their homes.